Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Little Drummer Boy

OK, I'm back on track. Today's carol is "The Little Drummer Boy". The lyrics are:

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.


This is one of my favorite songs at this time of year. It tells the tale of a young man who was told a marvelous thing. A newborn king was close by and he was invited to see. This young man by all accounts was poor and probably had never seen anything regal in his life. Now he was invited to come and see this miracle. One problem though, everyone was bringing gifts and he had none. But that did not stop this lad from giving a gift. He had a drum with him and humbly asked if he might play a song for the king. The mother of this King gave her permission and so he began to play. What he played we are not told, but we are told he played his best for the King. At the end of the song the King smiled at him and his drum.

This tale is typical of all of us in this life. We have been invited to "come and see" the King. We have also been asked to bring a gift for Him.

As for myself, I am a poor boy too. I have no great gift that I can give my King. I do however have my time and talents. These I can give him. I can give him the best of my time and "play" my talents to there best. In this way I can give a gift that will cause Him to smile at me.

No comments: