Sunday, December 6, 2009

I'll Be Home for Christmas

Today's carol (OK maybe it's not technically a carol) is "I'll Be Home for Christmas". The lyrics are:

I am dreaming tonight of a place I love
Even more than I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find you
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

If only in my dreams


Being so far from my home, this song gets to me. When I hear it I can smell home. The wood burning furnace, the snow, the fields, the trees, everything I grew up with. I can smell what Granny's place was. The food, pies, roast, ham, vegetables, mashed potatoes. The joy of us cousins, the noise of the adults. The late nights where the kids played whatever and the adults played a modified version of Pinochle. Eggnog, Shrimp and a thousand other foods.

Today home is here in AZ. I love this time of year for the lights and the new smells. The joy of my kids and times of quiet that we get after about 8:30 at night. I love the excitement, the build-up to the big day. I love playing games, especially now that the kids are getting old enough to play better ones. Of course I love the food. There are new traditions and old. I'll be home for Christmas, and not only in my dreams because I'm with my family.

No comments: