Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Very Superstitious

So yesterday I woke up and knew that the Arizona Diamondbacks were starting a 6 game home stand. I also knew that the DBacks were 8-11 in their last 19 home games and 13-7 in their last 20 road games. I knew that I had to do something to help the team start this home stand on the right foot. But what could I do?

I couldn't go to the game because of other commitments (yes Jeff there is life outside of Baseball sometimes). That meant watching the game on the TV at home. I don't have Bob Melvin's email or phone number so there was no way I could get a message to him to include in the pre-game team meeting. Trying to get a message across on local talk radio when something so important as pre-season football (another topic for another day) was going on would be impossible as well. So what's a fan to do?

Well as I was getting dressed it hit me. I could wear the official road hat for the Arizona Diamondbacks all day to bring them the much needed luck. I put the hat on and instantly felt like I was doing something positive that would result in a win. Little did I know that all the luck I had would be necessary.

The game started well for the DBacks and pitcher Doug Davis. After not giving up a run in the top of the first the DBacks scored 4 in the bottom of the inning. Davis and crew gave up two in the top of the second. The score remained that way until the bottom of the 4th when Adam Dunn hit his first homerun as a DBack to increase the lead to 6-2.

The score stayed that way until the 8th when John Rauch gave up a run to make the score 6-3. In the bottom of the 8th the Diamondbacks got that run back when Connor Jackson singled in Augie Ojeda after a tremendous defensive play by the Padres shortstop that got Chris Burke out at third.

So with a 7-3 lead going into the 9th and closer Brandon Lyon coming in the deal was sealed right? Well maybe not, the Padres loaded the bases with one out and got a two-run single, followed by another single that made the score 7-6. With runners on 1st and 3rd Bob Melvin pulled Lyon for Tony Pena.

Pena got Hundley to hit a grounder just to the left of the mound. Pena fielded the ball and made a great play to get the runner from 3rd into a run-down. Pena threw to Chris Snyder who chased the runner back towards third and threw to Reynolds who tagged the runner out. Reynolds then did the smart thing by holding on to the baseball instead of trying to make another play on the other runners.

Pena then got Luis Rodriguez to fly out to center for the last out of the game. It was Pena's second save of the year and also validated my good luck charm.

I'm not wearing the hat today as it needs to recharge. I guess I will have to find another good luck charm for tonight's game. Hopefully the luck won't be needed.

1 comment:

Luisa Perkins said...

We have similar superstitions about the Mets. For instance, we half believe that if we do good deeds (home teaching, etc.), it will help them.