Thursday, July 1, 2010

World Cup Quarterfinals

So I went 5 - 3 in my round of 16 picks. Not too bad. Obviously picking England and Portugal were risky. The US? Maybe I led with my heart a little more than I should have. BTW, the first Dutch goal was scored by Robben so I should get some credit.

Anyways, the quarterfinals start tomorrow. Again I am making picks so let's go:

Netherlands - Brazil: It's a shame they're meeting in the quarters. This is going to either be a super classic or a super stinker. I think both teams will go on the attack. The Dutch are probably the only team that can compete with Brazil in the midfield. Look for an intense game. I think this is going to produce the eventual champion. I'm going with an upset. Netherlands 3 - Brazil 2. Robben again the man to provide the Dutch spark.

Uruguay - Ghana: Probably the most unexpected match up in the quarters. Ghana showed a lot of heart against the US. Uruguay seem to be hitting their stride. I don't think Ghana can handle the combination of Forlan and Suarez. Another spirited game. Expect a lot of physical play and fouls to be committed. I'll take Uruguay to win 3 - 1. Forlan gets one on a free kick and Suarez scores the final goal on the counter attack.

Argentina - Germany: Call this one "Clash of the Titans". Another game to put in the "shame it's in the quarters" category. Argentina is still sore from the loss four years ago. Germany is looking strong. I expect to see Argentina on the attack with Germany on the counter. It's going to be low scoring, but I think this is the game that Messi scores and shines in. Argentina 2 - Germany 1

Paraguay - Spain: This is the "David vs Goliath" game in the quarters. Paraguay couldn't score against Japan, but hit every penalty. Spain played well and David Villa's goal was well taken. However, the Spanish did a lot of flopping and in a quarterfinal that won't fly. I don't see any way Paraguay can handle Spain's attack. Paraguay's keeper Villar will have to play on his head to keep this close. Don't expect that to happen. Spain 3 - Paraguay 0.

So there you have it. With the picks we will have Netherlands - Uruguay and Argentina - Spain in the semifinals. Of course I'll have a finals pick after tomorrow's games.

1 comment:

andrzejn said...

I agree with all the comments you have made but since this World Cup is not being played on European soil I have to go with Brazil over Dutch