Sunday, December 4, 2011

Time Flies and Can Be Too Short

Today is Levi's eleventh birthday. Seems like only yesterday that we were bringing him home. I can't really say where the time has gone. I do know this; recent events have made me realize that life's too short to miss time spent. Let me explain.

Not too long ago a friend of ours passed away from Brain Cancer. A few weeks ago we found out about another friend who went in for pancreatic cancer surgery and came out with a short life prognosis. A cousin of ours was also recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage 4. BAM! 3 instances of cancer. All 3 at different stages in their lives. All three too young.

It got me thinking about what I would miss if something like this happened to me. No parent should ever miss the graduations, weddings, grandchildren, and other torch passes that happen in life. As a parent, it made me realize that I need to enjoy the moments. Find joy in life now as nothing is guaranteed. Try to connect more and disconnect less. Take the time to show love, not just say it.

So I'm trying to be more aware of the moments. To love a little more. To laugh a lot more. To keep the frustration down (not easy that one). To be positive. In essence to be a better Husband, Father, Son, Uncle, Cousin, Friend.

And so I reflect on the last eleven years of my life. When our family grew from two to three. Reflect on all the good times. To know that as we are now seven, there are more chances to enjoy life. Maybe, just maybe I can make the memories that will last for more than my lifetime.

No comments: