Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Changes - A Review (of Sorts)

Dead? He can't be dead! I must have read that wrong. Chicago's only professional wizard is dead? The man who has more lives than the Cheshire Cat? Can't be. But wait I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've got a confession to make. I'm a big Harry Dresden fan. OK, I'm not the biggest fan in the world, I mean I don't have a Duster, Blue Beetle, Staff, Blasting rod, you get the picture. However, I am addicted to the series by Jim Butcher. I got hooked when the Sci-Fi (yes I know it's SyFy now) channel did one season of "The Dresden Files".

I mean, I'm such a fan of Dresden that I figured that Chicago's Only Professional Wizard could solve the whole Obama birth certificate fiasco. Yes, that's tongue firmly planted in cheek. Yes I know Dresden is a fictitious character. Yes, the whole birth certificate thing was ridiculous. I mean there was a presidential commission that verified his eligibility BEFORE the election took place for Pete's Sake. But I digress, back to the story.

Now I know I'm about a year behind the release date of "Changes". I don't buy books hard cover that often, especially if I'm going to re-read them several times (you should see my Dune series books). So I only recently picked up my paper back copy and read it.

I also knew that at some point in the book an assassin's bullet was going to hit Harry (fraking spoilers). However, while reading the book and knowing what was coming, I was still not prepared for how it went down. I mean really, Dresden had just obliterated (literally) the entire Red Court of vampires (side note, don't mess around with the children of wizards, it's a really bad idea). His house and office had been destroyed earlier and he was just getting some much deserved rest and a date with a woman he should have dated a long time ago.

Anyways, he's just getting things settled down from this latest adventure and decides to wait for his date outside. He is on his Brother's boat and standing on deck when he's hit by at least two bullets. In true Dresden style he separates himself from what is happening and gives his usual snarky commentary. As he falls into the frigid waters of Lake Michigan he hears two voices, one of a wizard he killed who hurled a death curse of "Die Alone" at him. The other was a woman's voice "Hush now" which sounded familiar.

The end of the book leaves us in doubt whether or not he is dead though. He sees a light and that he was moving towards it. It looks like a warm and wonderful place until he hears a sound. "Typical, I thought. Even when you're dead, it doesn't get any easier."

So is he dead? Has he really crossed over? I'm hoping the next book in the series "Ghost Story" answers this question. For me, I'm hoping the adventures of Harry Dresden are not over. I mean I'm addicted and I need a fix right?

No comments: