There is no known cause, although there are theories. There is no known cure, however there are some medicines that can help. Early detection is the key to helping these children become productive members of our society. There is progress in being able to detect Autism at earlier ages. However, the big key is EDUCATION. When I say education I'm talking about educating the following people:
- Parents - to recognize the signs of Autism
- Family and Friends - to understand that autistic people are different and to be careful about what is said or commented on
- Teachers - to understand the needs of an autistic child
- Others - to know that there may be something special about the child who is having a tantrum
- Doctors - to recognize the signs and listen to the parents of these children when they explain that "something just isn't right"
I ask that if you get a chance go to KTAR and listen to the live stream to hear some of the stories of kids with autism and how it has affected them and their families. If you feel the need, please donate. The donations benefit the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SAARC) who are one of the leading autism research centers around.
This is a great event every year, and is greatly appreciated by those of us who have children or who have been affected by Autism.